Sunday, September 23, 2007

Inwood Culture

At a recent lunch with a dear friend we once again had that conversation, the same one I have with my husband every few months--the “how long are we going to stay in New York City” conversation. I imagine that all New Yorkers have this conversation with themselves and their loved ones from time to time, for as we all know, while the love affair with New York is passionate and fulfilling it is often fraught. I have very few items on my “life list” but one is to one day have a house with a porch and a yard…something that my beloved city cannot really offer me. And so I talk about departing one day, to the suburbs or somewhere beyond. And then, I open up the paper and casually glance at a listing of things for families to do on one random Sunday in the city—a jazz concert at the North end of Central Park, storybook readings at the south end, performance art in Chelsea, etc. —and I think, how can I possibly leave? Where else can I raise my son where he will be exposed to such a proliferation of arts & culture?

Which brings me to another reason why I love Inwood. Sure, we have access to dozens of eminent art institutions and presentations every day that are just a train ride away, but I have been astonished to find our share of little arty events within walking distance from my door. Just last week, I strapped on the Baby Bjorn and crossed the street to tiny Isham park where I was treated to a performance by Taikoza, a Japanese music and dance ensemble who filled the Inwood air with the sounds of their joyful drumming. Neighborhood children ran giddily about to the boisterous beat. In this same small park earlier this summer, my husband and I picnicked as we listened to the Manhattan soloists—a merry group of probably local, definitely professional musicians who played a series of lovely, themed programs on four successive Monday nights. Was it as stirring an experience as the New York Philharmonic playing Central Park? Not exactly, but it was ours, and these and other events really strengthen the feeling that Inwood is almost like a small town, rather than a neighborhood within the mighty city.

The same goes for the Moose Hall Theatre Company’s Shakespeare productions in Inwood Hill Park. The quality doesn’t match what you’d find downtown at the Delacorte, but the show I saw was quite good and moreover I didn’t have to wait in line for hours for a ticket! I admit I have not seen as much of the Uptown Arts Stroll as I would like, but I have admired the few pieces I’ve come across on display in local businesses. Hopefully, this tradition will continue and I can own some authentic “Inwoodian” art soon. Plus, we have full-blown festivals within walking distance too—I have enjoyed the “Drums on the Hudson” festival in the past, and next week I plan on attending the Renaissance Fair in Fort Tryon Park.

My husband and I have even made our own contribution to the Inwood Arts scene. In 2005, hubby got it into his head that the soccer posts in Inwood Hill Park would make a great place to mount a movie screen. So after much planning and wrangling and schlepping, we were able to host a screening of “E.T.” for about 200 or so of our neighbors one summer night. We’d love to do it again some day… if we can find someone to fund us, that is!

These are just a sampling of the arts happenings up here. But honestly, where else but New York can I go hear a concert at Carnegie Hall one night, and in the park across the street from me the next? Having access to these events right here in Inwood make leaving New York even more impossible to imagine.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At September 23, 2007 at 4:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Amy!

I was one of the 200 people who was THRILLED to watch ET on the soccer field last year.

Thank you and your husband so much for your efforts. I hope that this is a event that can be continued eventually.

Best,
Zaida

 
At March 6, 2008 at 1:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy,
I don't think you would be happy if you left Inwood. You sound so attached. You would probably regret it...the way I do.

Billy....Inwood 1942

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home